Users are wondering what’s happening with the releases and here’s what’s the holdup.
The basic issue is that the project’s infrastructure is running on systems that are ‘old’ and limited in count (aside for the Linux32/64 platforms that is). We have three running mac minis and seven running Windows 2003 servers(vm and non-vms).
Since last December, our Windows vms/machines have not been able to build the code (as of this writing, no Windows build for all trees) due to the fact that our compiler (VS2010) is no longer supported. Upgrading to VS2013 is not supported on Windows 2003 (which is what our Windows builders are based on) so we need to upgrade all our Windows builders to Windows 2008R2. The coordination required for this is ‘hefty’ and with the SeaMonkey Project being a community (read: non-priority tier) project, things within Moco takes precedence (and from what I gathered, it has been a very busy period for our main RelEng go-to guy – Justin Wood (aka Callek)), so we do appreciate everyone’s patience.
Our Mac situation is concerning as well due to the fact we have a limited number of builders (3, we had 4, but one decided to buy the farm) and the fact that purchasing Mac Minis (a specific kind… 2012 I think… vintage is good I hear..) is ‘difficult’ as we’re also competing for the same types of mac as Moco (and Moco gets priority). So builds are chugging away. [Self note: I wonder if someone donated a Mac Pro, would we be able to use it? ;P ]
Our Linux[32,64] builders are the only infrastructure that’s working well enough. (knock on wood… pun unintended, Callek).
Now the issue here is when we get our Windows building, do we do 2.34 releases or just jump directly to 2.35betas?
- We could release 2.33.2 (incls fixes between 2.33 and 2.34) and then release 2.35 betas
- We could release 2.34 and work on 2.35betas
- We could skip 2.34 altogether and stick with 2.35betas
The concern with #3 is whether the ‘upgrade’ experience from 2.33.1 to 2.35 release will be a ‘smooth’ one. At this moment, I don’t know as I haven’t watched the code changes (there has been a lot).
In any event, we’ll hopefully have an update on this situation soon.
We do appreciate everyone’s patience with us.