SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 1 is available for free download now in 24 languages and makes a list of new functionality available to a wider testing audience for the first time. Please note that this pre-release version is still intended for testers only and might still show some problems in everyday use. As always, we appreciate any feedback you may have and encourage users to help us by filing bugs.
This version is built on top of Gecko 8 and features the following new improvements:
- Users now have more control over their add-ons. Upon upgrade, activation of third-party add-ons needs to be confirmed explicitly.
- Improvements to HTML5 media elements and added support for newmedia APIs to improve the overall performance of video and audio
- Additional support for HTML5 technologies, including the crossorigin attribute and insertAdjacentHTML
- Updates to WebSockets
- Support for CORS for WebGL cross-domain textures
- Hyphenation is now supported in many more languages
- Fixed several stability issues
The changes page lists a more detailed overview of new features and fixes relative to our last stable release, SeaMonkey 2.4.1.
We welcome any and all discussions on this beta on our newsgroups, or you can even file a bug if you find one. Be sure to check our Known Issues prior to filing bugs.
SeaMonkey 2.5 Beta 1 is available for free download on the SeaMonkey website. Once you have downloaded and installed this release, we’d like to encourage you to get involved in discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.
Thanks for testing and helping us to make SeaMonkey even better!
~Justin Wood (Callek), SeaMonkey Release Engineer