Adrian Kalla again contributes unofficial localized installers and language packs in various languages for WINDOWS and Linux: Trunk & Beta & Aurora & Release .
Only for testing, you will use those builds on your own risk. I recommend to create a backup of your user profile before you start testing those builds.
The SeaMonkey-Project is living thanks to contributions of the community, by “manpower” or by financial support. Any contribution, also small amounts by Flattrs, are appreciated. You can donate via the SeaMonkey e. V. donation page or via the private donation initiative I started few days ago. The reasons why I started my private Donation campaign and why I currently can’t recommend donations to the SeaMonkey e. V. you can find here. You will reach my private SeaMonkey Donation Page (not initiated by or under responsibility of SeaMonkey or mozilla) with a click here or on the image at the right.
Posted in General, News, seamonkey, Uncategorized
Tagged Flattr, need help, News, Nightly, PayPal, please test, QA, release, seamonkey
For the SeaMonkey project I now use a new Bugzilla Whiteboard tag “[easyconfirm]” for UNCONFIRMED Bugzilla bug reports, which can be easily reproduced also by Bugzilla newbies. So these bug reports are ideal for some first bug confirming attempts and to gain some first experience with bug confirming and QA process on our bug tracking system. Continue reading
On mozilla.support.seamonkey Ed Mullen asked 2015-07-07 the question from heading. I tried to ask Bugzilla for an answer by comparing some activity parameters with numbers of year before and 5 years ago (2010). All values for first half-year. Found numbers are listed in table below, queries for 2015 are linked in the left column:
I think new reports and changed to FIXED (bug fixes) no not need explication. The next parameters are indicators for (user-) QA activity. The table shows that 2015 we have only half as much activity left as SeaMonkey had 2010. But compared to year before it even looks some better.
And we have some additional glimmers of hope:
Of course that’s not a substitution for security patches coming in time, and we still have the Sync problem (and others).
But be aware: it depends on you and your contribution how successful SeaMonkey can be. You think a normal user can’t help? That’s not true, as a first step you can try to confirm (or disprove) some of our UNCONFIRMED SeaMonkey bug Reports, like I do here (you may add me to CC if your are not sure whether your investigations are exhaustive). I hope to find your signature in Bugzilla, soon … . 🙂
Users are wondering what’s happening with the releases and here’s what’s the holdup.
The basic issue is that the project’s infrastructure is running on systems that are ‘old’ and limited in count (aside for the Linux32/64 platforms that is). We have three running mac minis and seven running Windows 2003 servers(vm and non-vms).
Since last December, our Windows vms/machines have not been able to build the code (as of this writing, no Windows build for all trees) due to the fact that our compiler (VS2010) is no longer supported. Upgrading to VS2013 is not supported on Windows 2003 (which is what our Windows builders are based on) so we need to upgrade all our Windows builders to Windows 2008R2. The coordination required for this is ‘hefty’ and with the SeaMonkey Project being a community (read: non-priority tier) project, things within Moco takes precedence (and from what I gathered, it has been a very busy period for our main RelEng go-to guy – Justin Wood (aka Callek)), so we do appreciate everyone’s patience.
Our Mac situation is concerning as well due to the fact we have a limited number of builders (3, we had 4, but one decided to buy the farm) and the fact that purchasing Mac Minis (a specific kind… 2012 I think… vintage is good I hear..) is ‘difficult’ as we’re also competing for the same types of mac as Moco (and Moco gets priority). So builds are chugging away. [Self note: I wonder if someone donated a Mac Pro, would we be able to use it? ;P ]
Our Linux[32,64] builders are the only infrastructure that’s working well enough. (knock on wood… pun unintended, Callek).
Now the issue here is when we get our Windows building, do we do 2.34 releases or just jump directly to 2.35betas?
- We could release 2.33.2 (incls fixes between 2.33 and 2.34) and then release 2.35 betas
- We could release 2.34 and work on 2.35betas
- We could skip 2.34 altogether and stick with 2.35betas
The concern with #3 is whether the ‘upgrade’ experience from 2.33.1 to 2.35 release will be a ‘smooth’ one. At this moment, I don’t know as I haven’t watched the code changes (there has been a lot).
In any event, we’ll hopefully have an update on this situation soon.
We do appreciate everyone’s patience with us.
Welcome to blog.seamonkey-project.org. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!