Less than 8 weeks after the first beta, the SeaMonkey team released SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2 today, completing the planned feature set for the next generation of the successful Internet suite, with a final 2.0 version expected next month.
Building on the great heritage of the Netscape Communicator and Mozilla Application suites, SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2 combines a state-of-the-art web browser based on the same core as Firefox 3.5.3 with a solid email and newsgroups client and a simple HTML editor, rounding the experience with web development tools and IRC chat.
In addition to the changes in the first beta release, this version features
- tabbed mail, enabling accounts, folders and even single messages to be opened in tabs inside the Mail & Newsgroups window, as well as enabling the Lightning extension to be installed into SeaMonkey for calendering functionality.
- a completely renewed default theme on Mac OS X to better fit with the look of Leopard and Snow Leopard,
- reopening of closed browser windows (Undo Close Window),
- introduction of simpler interfaces for extension developers (SMILE),
- and a large number of other, smaller improvements.
The release notes include a detailed list of improvements in comparison to SeaMonkey 1.1.18, our current stable release.
We welcome any and all discussions on this beta on our newsgroups, or you can even file a bug if you find one. Be sure to check our Known Issues prior to filing bugs.
SeaMonkey 2.0 Beta 2 is available for free download on the SeaMonkey website. Once you have downloaded and installed this release, we’d like to encourage you to get involved in discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.
Thanks for testing and helping us to make SeaMonkey even better!
New Mac theme is very much appreciated!
One little niggle: CMD+SHIFT+[ & CMD+SHIFT+] are much easier to navigate around tabs with on mac keyboards…if those could be added…
Thank you so much for the continued support to Mozilla Suite! Been using mozilla suite since 3.0b1 and I’m now using seamonkey2.0b2 on RHEL5, OSX 10.4 and WindowsXP. A big thank you on behalf of myself and all my users!
I LOVE SeaMonkey! <3